Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Reaching Limits



WARNING: This is going to get a little bit rant-ish.

Every human on this planet has limits, some people reach them quickly, and aren’t quiet about it. Others, well, take me for example, we’re slow to find that breaking point, we’ll tolerate more than we should, and when it’s enough, it’s bloody-well enough.

That’s how I’m feeling, that it’s enough. That it’s actually gone past enough months and months ago. Now I know, I am doing what I said I would, and that means I’m getting paid to write. However, there are a few things that potential freelance writers out there should be aware of about this new world of freelance writing. First, it isn’t a blasted fairy tale. Nope, no fairy godmother to sprinkle dust over your fingers when they are so swollen you aren’t sure you can type anymore. No witch to cast a spell and make that pile of deadlines slow down. Sorry if I’m bursting your bubble here, but think more in terms of feeling like you’re chained to your desk, typing all the time, and if you’re lucky you’re getting paid third world wages.

Second, clients are harsh. I could go on forever about the social implications of the something for next to nothing generations, but suffice it to say it’s a big problem in the writing world. You know it’s bad when fiction magazines are paying more for short story content (yes it is a harder market to get into) than the business advertizing world.

When I start doing the math, I really want to act like a two year old, stomp my feet and throw a full-blown tantrum. For example, I just finished the second part of a large project. Overall, the project added up to being 25,000+ words. That’s almost half a novel. In all I made .007 cents per word.

So, why haven’t I quit. Well, there are a few reasons. I like money. We all like money right? I have a hard time saying no to money now, even though I think I’m actually losing the potential of money later on. I have two wonderful, but, basically special needs kids. They are fully functional, and smart, and funny, and sometimes great to be around. However, they have issues, and these are the kind of issues that a normal after school care facility, and traditional baby-sitters are prepared to deal with, so I have to be flexible. I have to be available. If these reasons weren’t enough, top that off with the fact that I’m suffer from a bit, well maybe more than a bit of social phobia, and I’m really not traditional work force material.

So I keep doing it, but I am frustrated, and angry, that the world of freelance writing can’t seem to understand that writers work hard, and that we deserve reasonable compensation.

End of rant!

On the positive side I’m about 75% done with the outline for my newest fiction project. A young adult series. Outlining is something I’ve spent years avoiding, feeling that it stifled my creativity, boy do I feel dumb now. Now that I’m outlining, it’s a thousand times easier to pick up and put down what I’m working on, without having to spend two hours trying to figure out where I was going with a conversation, or a scene.



No comments:

Post a Comment