Monday, April 2, 2012

Things I’ve learned While Writing Everything But Fiction
A touch of inspiration from this fall. Somehow, I think this tree might have a story to tell.

I may have, perhaps, plausibly even, been avoiding this blog for a while, because it makes me feel guilty about not producing fiction.

Well, I’m over that, and I’m starting to write what I love again. However, in ways and times that I didn’t know, I would.

I’ve not been avoiding my keyboard during the break from fiction writing, instead, I’ve probably written ten or fifteen books worth of content on this and that, for different projects. So yes, I’ve been writing for a living, just not the type of writing I want to do forever. I’m not quitting my freelancing gig, I mean come on, I am paid to write…and until the fun writing starts to pay, that’s what I plan to keep doing. That being said, I’m going to stop neglecting my poor blog. I’m also going to stop putting my fiction on the back burner and letting everything else take over. The theme for me for April is going to be finding balance. Ha, in a world that is so off kilter that should be fun right?

I’ve learned a lot, some good some bad, some things that make me question everything I read on the internet, but I’ve enjoyed it. I’ve learned that I can write over twenty thousand words in a day if I want.

At that rate, I could go above the Nanowrimo goal in three days. Yeah, I said three days. Insane. I know.

Now the test comes, can I apply everything I’ve learned, the rate at which I write, to fiction? No, probably not.

I wish. It would make life so much easier if I could just churn out content, turn off the inner editor, and accept that this is the story my characters are trying to tell. Naw, that’d be too darn easy.

So I’ve come to believe that as a writer, I’m destined to fight with myself on a constant basis. More importantly, I’ve come to realize that I’m okay with that, and that in some ways that’s probably what makes my fiction interesting. So for now, I’m getting started again, and accepting that it’s a frustrating, challenging process, and trying to force myself to just work through it.


No comments:

Post a Comment